New Beginnings, New Blog

This fall marks four years since I started blogging. 

At the time, I was just getting ready to completely revamp how I was teaching: moving away from teaching through lecturing, and toward technology-based, student-paced, and student-led learning. 

I remember trying to come up with a catchy name for the blog, and settled on BYOD, ASAP. My goal was to flip all my courses that year; I was working hard to get technology into the hands of my students (hence, BYOD) while fostering equity and modelling responsible usage. While it may not have been "As Soon As Possible," I took an all-or-nothing approach to the flipped classroom and jumped right in. Most of my posts were about my trials, tribulations, and triumphs in implementing new ways of delivering content.

But now, as I move into my second year out of the classroom as our board's Renewed Math Strategy Co-ordinator, my focus is no longer on equitable access to technology in my classroom, or on delivery of content to my students. BYOD, ASAP no longer applies: as I continue to blog, I need a new focus.

Over the past year, I've experienced first hand how working with teachers is quite different than working with students. However I realize that in both cases, I need to consistently model the learning: demonstrate that I am willing to try new things, not be afraid to show vulnerability, and learn right alongside whomever is in the room. 

So as I move forward into a new year, with a renewed commitment to blogging (thanks, #blogamonth!), I'll be blogging from Model the Learning. 

I hope you'll join me as I learn!

(All of my previous blogs on BYOD, ASAP can still be accessed at their original URLs, and at the link in the menu on the main page of this blog.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Words I'm Eliminating from my Math Vocabulary

The Art of Questioning on Math Assessments

Indigenous Mathematicians and Scientists